Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bosses vs. Clients and Other Career Craziness

Busy busy busy! I think my new title as "Blog Empress" is an understatement. I am moving into a new role with one boss, and downplaying my role with another boss.. Because of an article I read, I realized that God wanted to be my BOSS now. He wouldn't want it any other way, and so I am going to treat the people I work for as clients, and no longer bosses. There is a huge difference actually. With a boss, you actually allow him to treat you like a peon, ordering you around and stuff. I had always taken pride in giving more than what is asked of me as regards my job, and sometimes, it becomes an unrequited, unrewarded gesture. But starting last night, I realized that I am on equal ground with my bosses now, if I choose to be.

Let's face it, they need me. I need them too. It's all a quid pro deal, because without me, they will not be able to produce content; without them, I wouldn't have gotten a start in this industry.

While before I allowed myself to be ordered around and the only way I can express my irritation at the workload was to be passive-aggressive and not submit on time, I guess it's time to grow up, be professional, and not need them. I have to keep remembering that my God is my provider, and not them. I have to keep remembering that no matter what, He is my boss and not them.

So, starting last night, I decided that I will be not needing my "main boss". If he decides to go for the proposal I have in mind wherein I do not have to meet a quota and will work as I please, no matter how many articles I pass or not, then I'm good. If not, then I may have to leave.

A business cannot run without its workers. I wonder why bosses and businessmen keep forgetting that.

My mother kept telling me the last time we talked that I should gear into managing other writers, farming out my work..

NO. I am not a manager, and though I want to take management courses, I do not want to be one. I want to have my time to myself and not care if some underling/minion/peon of my own wouldn't submit on time. If *I* didn't want to submit on time, it would be MY problem, not anyone else's.

I had tried to manage my cousins before, and I tell you, it's not a pretty sight. The fact that you have some of the same genes running around your bloodstream isn't a pretty thought when you are at the point when you realize that even some of your bad work ethics are theirs too. I love them both to bits, but on that week, I have to say that I was tearing my hair out secretly.

Frankly, it was my fault that the project has turned into a pain in my behind today. To have involved my cousins with that irritation (the project) was both a blessing and a mistake. But it showed me that I do not want to be stressed out with managing anyone else.

Though this sounds so clerk-mentality, this is actually more of the geek mentality wherein I would rather wake up, turn on my computer, work a bit, then go to chores, work some more, chat with people, talk with Porky, work some more, then go to sleep. (Yes, there are days when I avoid God. Today is one of them. :p)

And yet I had felt the need to create a "massive passive income," to quote an Internet Marketer's e-book title. Passive income is income wherein you just leave it there, and it works for you. THAT is what I want. Not the headache of timing someone else's deadline.

Passive income, in the real-world sense, is all about stocks, mutual funds, investments that you can leave running without needing to micromanage. But Passive Income on the Internet means AdSense, Revver, and Affiliate Programs.

Passive Income on the 'Net is sooo much more fun: because it's FREE. Like AdSense. You set up your AdSense account with a Google Account login, set up your blogs with AdSense, and watch as the cents turn into dollars.

Revver is much like YouTube, wherein videos are hosted. But there is a twist: you get paid for your activity there.

There are so many possibilities and I want to explore them all. That is why I need to break free of the employee/manager mentality and keep moving into going solo. So that when I am flat on my back, 9 months pregnant, my revenue can still come in, and Porky will have something more to dip into in case of craziness. :p

So yeah, take it from Colayco, Kiyosaki, and all them finance experts: you need to create a bigger monetary income influx than your expenses.

And take it from God: sow seed and invest in people. Now THIS investment would yield returns in hundredfolds. ;)


Credits: Kuya David, Internet Marketers, my bosses, LC Saul for the book, and Francisco Colayco and Robert Kiyosaki. :)

Edit: I forgot my linkies! Eep!

http://urltea.com/2chs << quick veggie recipe
http://urltea.com/2chq << appliance essentials
http://urltea.com/2chx << I want a HappySlip DVD.

0 reactions: